We believe that combating poverty and social exclusion is a shared responsibility and requires the participation and commitment of all of us. We appreciate the work of each NGO in the region, and desire to see increased collaboration between them and the private sector. We therefore encourage all the NGOs working with us to:
- Complement each other’s activities and work together.
- Facilitate information sharing and publicise the work of other NGOs.
- Strive to continually increase their capacity.
There are numerous advantages for an NGO who is part of the KRN network. NGOs who work with us have the benefit of:
- Increased access to information.
- Shared expertise and financial resources.
- Increased efficiency.
- A multiplier effect, where the reach and impact in the region grows and the NGO receives support from other organisations working towards the same goal.
- Increased visibility.
- Lower risk and more credibility, especially for developing NGOs.
The criteria for NGOs to join the collective are:
- Geographical: You must be locally based and working within the Grand and Petite Rivière Noire catchment area.
- Certification: You must be a registered NGO.
- Good governance: Your NGO must show accountability and transparency in its management, the administration of projects and in its budget.
- Human rights friendly: Your NGO must comply with Article 14 of the UN Convention on Human Rights. You should not discriminate against people on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status.